Council and its Governance
ADSO are delighted to announce the launch of the interactive, virtual course ‘Council and its Governance’. Council and its Governance will be delivered as two three hour workshops held virtually. Delegates will be required to attend both of the virtual workshops.
This course is aimed at Democratic Services Officers who wish to develop their understanding of the different types of governance arrangements and the role of Council meetings. The target audience will be those who are relatively new to democratic service teams and those with a few years experience.
The content is also linked to the Council and Governance module of the ADSO Certificate so it will help learners with their research for this module.
How the course will be delivered
The course will be delivered virtually, to maximise the delegates learning experience the course has been broken into two virtual workshops.
The workshops will;
- provide an understanding of good governance principles and how they apply to democratic services
- provide an understanding of the internal governance arrangements by which councils exercise their powers
- examine the differences between Leader & Cabinet and the Committee systems
- explore how the Full Council meeting operates in different governance settings.
The workshops will include plenary presentations, case studies and smaller group working, enabling delegates to learn with democratic service officers from across the country.
The virtual workshops will be led by Ian Millichap. Ian has over 30 years’ experience of working in local government and has spent 15 years in senior roles. He has previously worked for London Borough of Southwark as head of the committee governance team. Ian has Clerked Full Council, Cabinet and all Major Committees and has experience of both Committee and Executive arrangements. He is a Member of Governance Institute (Formerly ISCA).
Ian now supports ADSO with their virtual training programmes.
Date and time
- 1 December – 9:30 – 12:30
- 10 December – 9:30 – 12:30
Delegates are required to attend both workshops.
- ADSO Member rate – £110 per person to attend both workshops
- Non-ADSO Member rate – £160 per person to attend both workshops
All costs subject to VAT.
ADSO reserve up to two places on this course for an ADSO learner depending on demand – please contact us if you wish to be allocated a learner place.
The virtual workshop will be held using Zoom.
Places are limited to ensure interactivity so book early to avoid disappointment using the link below:
You only need to book once to access both modules of the course.