ADSO is hosting an opportunity to attend the new, interactive, virtual course ‘Becoming a DSO – an introduction’. Specifically designed for those taking their first steps into the world of Democratic Services- this course is aimed at those in the first eight weeks of starting.
This is a quick introduction, designed to give you some essentials and to give you the chance to ask questions and meet other new starters. It will be delivered as a single 3 hour workshop.
This course is aimed at newly appointed Democratic Services Officers who wish to develop their understanding of their role. It is for those who have never worked in this area before and who want a quick introduction to orient themselves.
How the course will be delivered
The course will be delivered virtually, and by the end of the workshop you will:
- Understand what a local Council is and how it is funded.
- Know the different types of local Council and what services they provide
- Understand how decisions are made and your role in supporting this, both in and out of meetings
- Have a sense of how accountability works in local government, how Councils and Councillors are held to account and the role of scrutiny.
- Have considered the impact of politics and what this means for you as an officer of the Council.
The workshops will include plenary presentations, case studies and smaller group working, enabling delegates to learn with delegates from across the country.
You will be required to watch a short video and reflect on some of the ‘jargon’ you may have already experienced in preparation for some of the activities.
Date and time
28 September – 09:30-12:30
The virtual workshop will be held using Zoom.
- ADSO Member rate – £55 per person to attend the course
- Non-ADSO Member rate – £80per person to attend the course
All costs subject to VAT.
This course is not part of the offer to ADSO members working towards the Certificate or Diploma
Please note that this is an ADSO course, purchase order numbers will need to be made to ADSO. Is you would like to confirm details for the purchase order number please email Kirsty.firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that this is not an East Midlands Councils course, East Midlands Councils is supporting ADSO with the delivery of its courses.