ADSO are delighted to announce dates for a new, interactive, virtual course ‘Meetings Procedures’. It will be delivered as two 2.5-3 hour workshops.
This course is aimed at Democratic Services Officers who wish to further develop their understanding of the legal and governance framework within which councils operate and the practical application of this to the range of work areas undertaken by democratic services teams. The course content will be relevant both to those who are relatively new to democratic services and officers with a few years’ experience (6 months to 3 years experience of supporting meetings as a guide.)
The content is also linked a number of modules especially Law and Practice module and the Structures and Functions of the ADSO Certificate and ADSO Diploma so it will help learners with their research for this module.
How the course will be delivered
The course will be delivered virtually, and by the end of the workshop you will:
- Understand how decisions are made and reported and your role in supporting this, both in and out of meetings
- Constitutional issues of meetings- quorums, points of order
- Dealing with motions and voting including amendments, adjournments and deferrals
- Have a sense of how accountability and good governance works in local government, how Councils and Councillors are held to account and the role of scrutiny.
- Understand the rules of debate and consider the impact of politics and what this means for you as an officer of the Council.
The workshops will include plenary presentations, case studies and smaller group working, enabling delegates to learn with delegates from across the country.
Lennox Beattie, Executive and Regulatory Manager, Blackpool Council
Lennox is an experienced Democratic Services practitioner having been the Executive and Regulatory Manager at Blackpool Council for the past 14 years. He has been responsible for support to the Executive and its governance for that period. Lennox is also involved in ADSO work through the qualifications, which includes both the certificate and diploma.
Date and time
- 29 September 2021 – 09:30 – 12:30
- 6 October 2021 – 09:30 – 12:30
How to book a place
To book a place please use the online booking form via the link below. Please note that you will need to supply a purchase order number. This can either be done by adding to your online booking, alternatively email the purchase order to email@example.com.
Delegates are required to attend both workshops.
- ADSO Member rate – £110 per person to attend the course
- Non-ADSO Member rate – £160 per person to attend the course
All costs subject to VAT.
Terms and conditions for booking can be found here – www.emcouncils.gov.uk/ADSO-Terms-and-Conditions
This course is not part of the offer to ADSO members working towards the Certificate or Diploma
The virtual workshop will be held using Zoom.