The course is now full.
This course is aimed at Democratic Services Officers who wish to develop their understanding of the legislation underpinning the current decision-making process. The content is linked to the Law and Practice module of the ADSO Certificate so it will help learners with their research for this module.
- Meetings and their legal framework starting with the Local Government Act 1972
- Discussion on the Local Government Act 1985 and Local Government and Housing Act 1989
- Local Government Act 2000 – What did this mean for Local Authorities? What was new?
- Case Studies and feedback – Applying legislation to the democratic process
- Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 – What changes to the decision making framework did this Act require?
- Local Democracy Economic Development and Construction Act 2009 Case Studies and feedback – Interpreting and applying legislation
- Localism Act 2011 – What new opportunities did this Act bring for Local Authorities?
- 2012, 2014 and 2015 – Discussion regarding most recent legislation including Executive Arrangements 2012, Health and Social Care Act, 2012 and Openness Regulations 2014
- Surgery – Opportunity to raise any questions / discussions or issues with the group
Peter Edwards, Associate trainer and Ian Millichap, Associate trainer