Town Hall Square
This one-day course will cover the current legal framework for ethics and standards within local authorities, including:
- councillor codes of conduct
- member complaints procedures and investigations
- the roles of the Monitoring Officer and Deputy (including Democratic Services) plus the Independent Person
- members interests, dispensations and rules on participation in meetings
- predetermination and bias
The course will also focus on the recently launched report from the Committee on Standards in Public Life and the many recommendations within that report.
There will be a good mix of information giving, inter-action through group discussions and scenarios plus plenty of opportunities to ask questions and exchange information/good practice.